As mentioned in the article on how to avoid SEO scammer, in order for genuine SEO company to perform SEO tasks for you, they would ask you for access privileges to your website and/or some of your online properties as soon as they start. What we would most likely ask from you is the access to your Google Analytic and Google Search Console, so we can start tracking traffic and other insightful data of your website for you.
If you have not done any SEO work before, and it is your first time acquiring SEO service, it is likely you habe never sign up for these Google services. This article will tell why it is important to have an Google account for you or your company, how to sign up these services, and how to assign access right to your new SEO agency.
Do not let agencies hold your content as hostage!
While every SEO company would like to have your business with them for as long as they can, a professional and responsible SEO company would part with good terms if you decide to discontinue their services one day. You will want to own and hold on to what they have done for you, and one part is to take control of these Google services or properties that they have setup, managed and optimised for you during their service for you.
Therefore, you should create and sign up these service with your company Google account, which only you / your company will have ownership to it, and only assign access or privilege to your SEO company for them to manage and optimise these for you. In short, you own these accounts and works that they have done for you.
Note: NEVER give your Google account password to anyone else! Otherwise they will have access to all your Google services including your Gmail and Google drive. Things can get ugly when you decide to discontinue their service if they are indeed unprofessional, or worse, scammers.
What are Google account and Google services?
You only need one Google account in order to access all the services that Google offer. Each of these services may require an individual signup process to link it to your Google account before you can access those services. Some more well known Google services including Gmail and Google Drive.
If it is your company that is acquiring SEO service, register the Google account using a company e-mail instead of employee e-mail (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org instead of email@example.com ). In that case you will always have access to it, even when the person in charge left your company.
Sign up for Google account
Go to Google signup page to sign up for a free Google account:
You can choose to use your own email instead of creating a Gmail account. That way you have one less email address to manage. The rest of the process is quite straight forward and I am sure you can take care of it.
If you choose the SEO service from Vinli SEO, in order to save you from all the technicality, we will take care of the sign up process for Google Analytics and Google Search Console remotely , and assign the user right / ownership back to your Google account. Alternatively we can set it up during a face-to-face session or via remote access software like TeamViewer to setup for you after you log into their Google account. You can even follow the guide below and set it up yourself if you are adventurous. The options are yours.
Sign up for Google Analytics
Google Analytics measures stats about your website like visitors, time spent on site, what pages they looked at, where they’re from, etc. Which give you insightful data on visitors behaviour and interaction with your website, allowing you to adjust your marketing strategies accordingly. If you haven’t sign up for Google Analytics it is a simple process.
- Go to Google Analytics Page
- Click on the top right corner to sign into your Google Account if you have not sign in yet.
- Once you have signed in to your Google account, click Access Google Analytics.
- Click Sign up.
- Fill in your Account Name, Website Name, Website URL, and select an Industry Category and Reporting Time Zone.
- Under Data Sharing Options, check the boxes next to the options that you want.
- Click Get Tracking ID.
- From the Google Analytics Terms of Service Agreement that opens, click I Accept.
That’s it! You are now Sign up for Google Analytics! What you will need to do next is to assign user permission to your SEO agency.
- On Google Analytic Dashboard, click on Admin on the bottom Left corner
- Under Property (NOT ACCOUNT!!) Choose User Management
- Add permission by adding the email your agency provides you, and assign permissions that they require from you. The 4 permissions are Manage Users, Edit, Collaborate, and Read & Analyse
Some larger agency will ask you to give them permission to Manage Users as well, so they can internally assign employees to work on your project, and it is a totally legit reason. However, they will also have the permission to remove your account association to the property in this case. It is not important if you just setup your account and therefore, an empty property that they can not use it for anything anyway. Remember to take away their Manage Users permission when you decided to discontinue your service with them, and , so they cannot take it hostage in the end.
Sign up for Google Search Console (formerly Google Webmaster Tool)
Google search console provides optimise some settings for your website on Google search engines, as well as important detail of organic traffic brought to your site through Google search, including the demographic of the visitor and keywords the visitor searched.
- Go to Google Search Console.
- First you will need to log in to your Google account that you have created.
- Once you have successfully logged in, click the “Add A Property” button at the top of the page.
- Enter the URL of your website, then click continue.
- Next you’ll be asked to verify that you own the website in one of four ways:
- If you have access to the root of your website you can upload a html file.
- If you manage your hosting yourself, you can verify via your hosting provider.
- If you use Google Tag Manager, you can verify via Google Tags.
- Or, by far the quickest and easiest method, verify ownership via your Google Analytics Tracking ID.
The domain ownership verification can get a bit technical, Vinli SEO will always set these up for you and save you from all the trouble.
If you manage to verify the domain ownership, you will then need to add your SEO company as user with full permission most of the time. Don’t worry, even with full permission the SEO company cannot take the ownership away from you, so you are safe to assign it.
- Click Add A NEW USER button
- type in the email your SEO company provide to you and change the permission to Full
That is it! You have your Google Analytics and Google Search Console setup, and your SEO company will have enough permission to work on now.
If you are still looking for professional SEO company to optimise your site and help you to get more traffic, consider Vinli SEO for your SEO and internet marketing need! Our prices are affordable and we provide 100% free SEO audit report to all inquired customers, contact us today!